Friday, August 5, 2011

You don't say...

I will preface this post by saying that I place about as much stock in horoscopes as I do in my choice of morning cereal (Easy. Cocoa Puffs).  For some, the breakfast dilemma and interest in zodiacs is slightly more intense. During my days at Washington State I would always end up sitting by someone in class who anxiously insisted on reading to me what fate held in store for them, via the Daily Evergreen. Can we get started on that lecture, Prof?


Regardless, horoscopes, like their tastier cousin, the fortune cookie, can sometimes be entertaining. I mean, who doesn't like to read optimistically about "meeting someone special", "success heading your way" or "new romance coming around the 23rd of the month". Meh. 


In short, I am saying that I find the whole zodiac and horoscope gist to be nothing more than an entertaining and usually inaccurate paragraph composed of a few fortune cookie messages and Chinese proverbs. That being said, tonight, while browsing online at the Polka Dot Peacock (A-mazing website!) I happened onto a page with horoscope throw pillows and out of curiosity, took a look at them. (I also had to look up Lily's zodiac sign. That makes me A.) a bad mom or B.) someone who is clearly not into the zodiac. I think it's the latter.) Thank goodness for google. My daughter is a Gemini. A twin. But really, thank goodness, she is actually a single for us. (Tangent: I always think about Chris' family and how different life would be if we had two of Lily and a two year old. Then I need a nap immediately following this daydream).


Back to my point. While reading the description of the Serena & Lily zodiac pillow I was surprised to read the description of a Gemini as being a spot on character canvas when applied to my own little babe. (Well, that might be giving too much credit, it only mentions a few personality traits, but still...). It describes a Gemini as the risk takers of the zodiac. Extremely independent, they crave freedom and variety, which can get them into a bit of mischief. They have a clever wit and always seem to be in the know––two traits that will take them far in life.


One of my favorite things about Lily is her self assured and sanguine disposition and at times, more easily likened to a swagger. At every turn, she is confident and fearless, sometimes, to her detriment (i.e. nose dives and bonked heads. They've gotta learn sometime, right?) A great example of this fearlessness can be drawn from our recent boating trip on Lake Union. While tooting around in a Duffy (the nautical equivalent to a Prius), Lily was persistent in her efforts to turn the boating trip into a swimming session. She and her friend Olive (See previous post) took swim lessons and she wanted to demonstrate how to properly swim the butterfly.






First, Lily insisted on being Captain, but Papa thought best to appoint her First Matey, which she gladly obliged.

When driving the boat proved to be less than thrilling, (let's just say I could swim faster, remember, Prius!) Lil' decided she could swim faster also. Hmph! Here's Chris trying to avoid pulling an MJ with the baby.

As my mom always said about me, and now Lily, she "dances to the beat of her own drum". And is quite adept at wiggling out of strollers, laps and arms.

So this whole blog post was inspired by a silly albeit, expensive throw pillow. And as always, the real inspiration, my fearless and mischievous Lily James. You keep all of us on our toes. What WOULD we do without you? We love you and your adorable personality. 

P.S. Last night, Lily was unusually fussy at bed time, therefore granting me the rare opportunity to rock her to sleep! Anyone who knows our story knows this is truly a rare instance. Especially Grandma who bought the chair in the hopes that it would serve as an instrument in the nightly Good night Lily song. 




No comments: